The Wimbledon tournament was canceled due to the global coronavirus pandemic. It is the first time the tennis championship had been canceled since World War II.
“It has weighed heavily on our minds that the staging of the Championships has only been interrupted previously by World Wars but, following thorough and extensive consideration of all scenarios, we believe that it is a measure of this global crisis that it is ultimately the right decision to cancel this year’s Championships,” All England Club Chairman Ian Hewitt said in a statement.
The 134th Wimbledon Championships will instead be held in 2021 from June 28 to July 11.
The All England Club said they are donating medical equipment and have opened up their facilities to local health officials if they need them.
“Our efforts will now be focused on contributing to the emergency response and supporting those affected by the coronavirus crisis. We have begun distributing medical equipment and offered the use of our facilities to the NHS and to the London Resilience Partnership, the collection of agencies in London fighting the battle against COVID-19”.